A big bass caught duration an ultra light fishing session at my local dock at night.
I headed out around 9pm where I intended to catch some bass and do some experimenting with a variety of LRF lures.
I started off using some isome on a jig head with a size 8 hook.
Probably about 10pm I saw a big bow wave in the water. I assume a bass (although I don’t really know ). Isome wasn’t getting me bites, so I switched to grass minnows (determined to catch on these), sadly not a sniff.
So I tried my old faithful Vermz. I started off using them really close to the wall.
I had no luck fishing close to the wall.
Next I decided to try at a distance and retrieve the lure slowly across the bottom. After a few casts at 11pm I finally felt a little tug.
I gently pulled back on the rod, set the hook and felt something with a bit of weight. Then suddenly line starts screaming off my little reel!
I’m starting to get a little concerned the fish might spool me at this point, so I tighten my drag a little.
With everything under control, the fish is still taking line but at a much slower rate now. The HTO rod and budget Shimano reel is handling the fish well!!!
So now it’s just a case of tiring the fish out.
The fish finally starts tiring and I start gaining line back. At around 30 yards out the fish surfaces and starts jumping about.
I stay calm I get the fish back under control.
At this post my get a glimpse of the fish at the end of my line.
So I grab my net, slowly walk off the pontoon and climb down the slope to attempt to land the fish (All the time trying to keep the line tight).
I nearly land the fish but it decides one last attempt to bolt off. After a littl bit more of a fight I finally have the bass safely in my landing net.
A slow fishing session turns into a memorial one. Such an amazing fight on my ultra light gear.
- Old School Paraffin LampI want to review a recent perchance. My lighting of choice is usually a headlamp, but with winter approaching and a touch of nostalgia I decided to purchase a stormlanten. … Continue reading Old School Paraffin Lamp
- Cheap white bugsy lures from Ali expressBeen having a ton of success with really cheap white bugsy lures I purchased from Ali Express. I was recommended them by a fellow fisherman and thought it was worth … Continue reading Cheap white bugsy lures from Ali express
- The DropshotWhy use a Dropshot rig? The Dropshot rig was originally designed for vertical fishing in deep water, but over time this highly effective rig has been adapted to fish in … Continue reading The Dropshot
- Herring fishing guideHerring are one of my favourite fish to catch while ultra light fishing. When targeted with an appropriately light setup these little fish will fight furiously and truly give you … Continue reading Herring fishing guide
- Do I need a landing net? A net is both better for the fish and the fishermen . So it is highly recommended you bring an appropriate net with you on your ultra light fishing trip … Continue reading Do I need a landing net?